Victoria S. Linder Law Office
Family Law Attorneys
Call to Schedule an Appointment

How does one obtain a child support modification order?

It is not uncommon for the circumstances of one or both California parents to change over time. Child support orders may be modified, but modifications have to be approved and authorized by a family law court. Parents wanting to apply for such modifications will have to return to the court where the original child support court order was issued.

Modifications may be temporary in some circumstances -- such as a child's medical condition that requires additional support -- or a parent's job loss or medical treatment may cause temporary inability to pay the obligated child support. Permanent modification applications may arise from circumstances such as one parent becoming permanently disabled, or a negative or positive change in a parent's employment situation. There may even be a significant rise in the needs of the children as they grow older.

Parents who consider filing for child support modification may choose to utilize the assistance of an experienced child support attorney to assess the circumstances and viability of such a petition, and provide guidance through the legal procedures. Even if both parents agree on the modification, it will have to be authorized by the court. If parents fail to agree, a judge will hear the arguments of each parent in a hearing, and by considering the best interests of the children, he or she will allow or disallow the modification.

California parents who would prefer not to leave it up to a judge to decide their child support issues may find comfort in knowing that an experienced child support attorney will also be able to facilitate mediation in an attempt to find a solution that will be acceptable for both parents. He or she will encourage communication and compromise that may lead to a new child custody agreement that will also protect the best interests of the children. The attorney will then assist in presenting the modification in the court in pursuance of the judge officially modifying the court order.

Source: FindLaw, "Child Support Modification FAQ", Dec. 27, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Minutes From Downtown Sacramento

Our office is conveniently located off Highway 50, just three miles from the Sacramento County Family Courthouse and minutes from Downtown Sacramento. For your convenience, we accept all major credit cards.

Victoria S. Linder Law Office
5303 Folsom Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95819

Phone: 916-905-4805
Fax: 916-498-0127
Sacramento Law Office Map