Victoria S. Linder Law Office
Family Law Attorneys
Call to Schedule an Appointment

What happens if an ex doesn't pay child support?

For a couple going through a divorce, one of the most important issues is the question of how much one parent will pay in child support. That's because it makes all the difference in the world to the children of the splitting couple: the proper amount of financial support will ensure a smoother transition and a brighter future for everyone involved. Whether the courts issue a judgement on the amount or the couple agrees to a fair number, it's important that the parent paying child support continues to live up to his or her obligations.

Sadly, that doesn't always happen and it's the child who suffers the most. Sometimes the parent loses a job and has a legitimate financial challenge. Other times, the parent is just trying to skirt his or her responsibility to pay. Whatever the reason, know that you have options to force your ex-spouse to pay up.

The courts take these matters very seriously and employ a number of tactics, including taking property, garnishing wages, taking away a license (either a professional license or a license to run a business), rendering the offender's driver's license invalid and taking tax refunds to pay the child support that's due. If none of these things work, the parent can be put in jail, though this is a last resort: he or she can't pay while in jail.

If you are struggling with an ex who's failed to pay child support, having a family law attorney by your side can be an invaluable asset.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Minutes From Downtown Sacramento

Our office is conveniently located off Highway 50, just three miles from the Sacramento County Family Courthouse and minutes from Downtown Sacramento. For your convenience, we accept all major credit cards.

Victoria S. Linder Law Office
5303 Folsom Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95819

Phone: 916-905-4805
Fax: 916-498-0127
Sacramento Law Office Map