Victoria S. Linder Law Office
Family Law Attorneys
Call to Schedule an Appointment

Child support may continue after high school

There are many child support paying parents out there that believe once their child is 18 or graduates, their obligation to pay child support is over. The truth is, while child support is paid to the other parent while the child is a minor, there are a few factors that may make your obligation to pay child support continue directly to your adult child.

The main thing to consider is that neither 18 nor graduation marks the 'end' of your obligation to support your child. The only end you will receive is directly from a judge. Just as they ordered you to make the payments, they must order you to stop the payments. Aside from an actual family court order approving the end of your support payments, a child should be both a legal adult and no longer in high school.

If your adult child has graduated and plans to attend college, a family court judge may order you to continue to pay child support for a while longer, usually until the age of 19. When you are ordered to pay child support for your adult child, the amount may be different from what it was when they were a minor. Likewise, you will no longer pay child support to the child's other parent. Child support paid for an adult child goes directly to the adult child.

Another factor that may impact how long your support order goes on is your child's mental and physical health. If your child has a disability that makes it impossible for them to support themselves or requires additional care, you may have to provide support to them until other financial assistance comes available.

Many child support-paying parents do not agree with how support is calculated or how it is paid. However, paying child support for an adult child should be much easier to understand. The support is calculated differently and may be quite a bit less than it was before. It will also be paid directly to your adult child. If you are interested in modifying or extending a child support order, you can do so with the help of a skilled family law attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Minutes From Downtown Sacramento

Our office is conveniently located off Highway 50, just three miles from the Sacramento County Family Courthouse and minutes from Downtown Sacramento. For your convenience, we accept all major credit cards.

Victoria S. Linder Law Office
5303 Folsom Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95819

Phone: 916-905-4805
Fax: 916-498-0127
Sacramento Law Office Map