Victoria S. Linder Law Office
Family Law Attorneys
Call to Schedule an Appointment

How do I enforce child support?

Child support is a fairly straightforward concept and standard process. However, occasionally there are parents who feel differently about the subject. It is not uncommon to have a paying parent argue about or completely neglect their financial responsibility to their child. When a parent fails to provide court ordered child support for their child, there are ways that the family court may enforce the order.

Since the Child Support Enforcement Act of 1984, District attorneys have been given the authority to help collect child support from parents who refuse to provide it. Generally speaking, the first step in collecting back owed child support is to have the paying parent served with papers requesting a meeting with the district attorney. This meeting is designed to give the paying parent a chance to come current with back owed child support through a payment arrangement.

Typically, this step takes care of most back owed child support. Occasionally, other means are necessary to collect back owed child support. A district attorney may choose to garnish wages, seize property, suspend licenses and even withhold tax refunds to collect back owed child support. Usually, a paying parent will take the necessary steps to come current with back owed child support if faced with these consequences. In the event the paying parent still refuses to come current with back owed support despite these measures, the district attorney may take steps to impose jail time on the individual refusing to pay.

The family court views a failure to pay child support as a direct violation of a court order. Individuals that refuse to pay child support may be held in contempt of court. For individuals struggling with their ex-spouses refusal to pay child support, it may be beneficial to speak to a family law attorney. With their help steps can be taken to enforce a child support order and give your child the financial support they need.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Minutes From Downtown Sacramento

Our office is conveniently located off Highway 50, just three miles from the Sacramento County Family Courthouse and minutes from Downtown Sacramento. For your convenience, we accept all major credit cards.

Victoria S. Linder Law Office
5303 Folsom Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95819

Phone: 916-905-4805
Fax: 916-498-0127
Sacramento Law Office Map