Victoria S. Linder Law Office
Family Law Attorneys
Call to Schedule an Appointment

Can the state my ex moved to modify child support?

If you have a child support order from the state in which you and your child reside and the other parent moves out of state, can the other state negate, reduce or further modify the order? It's a relevant question and these types of worries can only be eased by knowledge.

The Full Faith and Credit for Child Support Orders Act protects any attempts of the parent to reduce or shirk payments by moving to a state that traditionally orders lesser payments. The Act instructs all states to enforce the orders of child support as laid out by the state in which the child resided at the time the order was issued. If the child and neither contesting party reside in the state that issued the order or if each contesting party files written consent allowing another state to take the reigns on the order and modify it, a new order may be able to be drafted.

Essentially, courts aren't usually eager to modify another state's orders of child support. If the matter is pushed, it has to qualify and there are more complex requirements than those listed here. If you haven't moved from the state that placed the orders and you haven't signed off on any permissions for another state to modify the orders, you should be in the clear. If the obligated parent is not making payments, the state in which he or she resides should take up the orders and enforce them as required.

If you have concerns about a nonpaying parent or are worried about a push for new orders by a parent who has moved or is moving, your family law attorney in California may be very useful in answering your questions and ensuring your orders are enforced across state lines.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Minutes From Downtown Sacramento

Our office is conveniently located off Highway 50, just three miles from the Sacramento County Family Courthouse and minutes from Downtown Sacramento. For your convenience, we accept all major credit cards.

Victoria S. Linder Law Office
5303 Folsom Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95819

Phone: 916-905-4805
Fax: 916-498-0127
Sacramento Law Office Map