Victoria S. Linder Law Office
Family Law Attorneys
Call to Schedule an Appointment

What happens if my ex falls behind on support?

When you are newly divorced and you have been granted sole custody or primary custody of your children, you may feel that you are in over your head with the extracurricular costs, everyday budget concerns and medical expenses. This is especially true when your bills have remained comparatively similar to those you incurred while married. This is why child support is so necessary; the cost of putting a roof over your child's head isn't cut in half just because your income may be.

So what happens if the court-ordered parent fails to pay?

Thankfully, the government has created laws to handle that. District attorneys are ready to serve papers ordering the parent to make an arranged meeting to determine a support schedule.

If, after this, the parent continues to disregard support obligations, further action can be taken. Wages can be garnished, property can be seized, tax refunds can be withheld, occupational and business licenses can be suspended and driver's licenses revoked. If that proves to be ineffective, the parent will face incarceration and jail time.

This option is typically reserved for a last resort, primarily because when a parent is in jail they can't exactly become good providers.

If you are stuck in a rut and are not receiving your support payments, a California attorney practiced in family law can be a tremendous resource. Your attorney can work with you to determine the most effective way to guarantee support and modify support amounts if necessary. After all, sometimes something is better than nothing.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Minutes From Downtown Sacramento

Our office is conveniently located off Highway 50, just three miles from the Sacramento County Family Courthouse and minutes from Downtown Sacramento. For your convenience, we accept all major credit cards.

Victoria S. Linder Law Office
5303 Folsom Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95819

Phone: 916-905-4805
Fax: 916-498-0127
Sacramento Law Office Map