Victoria S. Linder Law Office
Family Law Attorneys
Call to Schedule an Appointment

Child custody and support for unmarried mothers

If you have a child with a man and were not married to him at the time, you may discover you continually run into red tape when trying to pursue financial support to provide for your child. A court order is necessary to force a father to make child support payments and if you never established paternity with the father, it must be done before a court order for child support can be made.

If a father demonstrates no desire to custodial or visitation rights of the child, or if the mother is reluctant to allow such rights to be shared, the mother may decide to get help from the government in order to provide for the financial needs of the child as she brings the child up on her own. However, when this is done, the government can sue the father for welfare reimbursement. Again, the government will need to demonstrate an establishment of paternity before any reimbursement can be collected on behalf of the alleged father.

If a mother is able to get the established paternity of the father, she is then able to pursue a court order for child support. Once child support is ordered, the payments that are so necessary to the welfare of the parent's child are then strongly protected. If the father cannot pay creditors, his child support payment typically receives priority in the eyes of the court. Moreover, if he files for bankruptcy, the child support obligation is not relieved. However, other debts are addressed in ways that may make his payments easier to achieve. Also, if the father refuses to make payments, his wages can be garnished automatically so that the child is protected.

If you are an unmarried parent struggling to figure out custody, support and paternity issues, you may seek the counsel of a California family law attorney in your area.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Minutes From Downtown Sacramento

Our office is conveniently located off Highway 50, just three miles from the Sacramento County Family Courthouse and minutes from Downtown Sacramento. For your convenience, we accept all major credit cards.

Victoria S. Linder Law Office
5303 Folsom Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95819

Phone: 916-905-4805
Fax: 916-498-0127
Sacramento Law Office Map