Victoria S. Linder Law Office
Family Law Attorneys
Call to Schedule an Appointment

I abandoned my marriage, not my children

When a relationship goes wrong, boundaries have been crossed, trust is broken and without any hope of repair, you may feel that you can no longer reside in the house you share with your spouse. You file for divorce, but because you love your children and do not want to begin an epic battle outside of court, you don't ask that your spouse leave the home, even if he or she is guilty of some action big enough to take down what was once a solid marriage.

In your eyes, the move had nothing to do with your children and you were not abandoning them, you were simply sparing them as much as possible from witnessing the emotional turmoil that is about to ensue.

However, be warned, in the eyes of the court, the children are now accustomed to being cared for by the spouse currently in custody of them. Since a path has been laid out and it may appear to be working, a judge may be less inclined to disrupt it.

In a situation like this, it is always best to speak with a California family law attorney for legal advice. Taking the children from the offending spouse may be the best move and may appear to a judge as an effort to protect them and shield them from harm while being able to care for them without the spouse's assistance. When doing this, be sure to go to the court as soon as possible or else you risk appearing as if you are taking the children without authorization, which could ultimately hinder your case.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Minutes From Downtown Sacramento

Our office is conveniently located off Highway 50, just three miles from the Sacramento County Family Courthouse and minutes from Downtown Sacramento. For your convenience, we accept all major credit cards.

Victoria S. Linder Law Office
5303 Folsom Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95819

Phone: 916-905-4805
Fax: 916-498-0127
Sacramento Law Office Map