Victoria S. Linder Law Office
Family Law Attorneys
Call to Schedule an Appointment

Will my ex be required to pay our child's medical bills?

When you go through a divorce or perhaps if you are not married to your child's other parent and child support has been ordered, you may know just exactly how to make the payments work. However, if your child now has a need for medical treatments, you may not know where the money will come from. Will the other parent be legally bound to help?

There are actually both state and Federal laws that require every support order to include an order for support of your child's medical needs. What this means is that as long as health insurance can be obtained at a reasonable cost, your existing custody orders should already mandate that either one of you or both of you should provide medical insurance. This includes dental and vision insurance coverage as well. These payments come as an addition to the amount of ordered support the other parent is required to pay; the cost is not deducted from it.

In order to determine if the insurance falls into the "reasonable" category of expenditure, you look at the gross amount of income for the parent ordered to pay and then ensure the insurance is not more than 5 percent of that amount.

If the medical costs are not covered by insurance, the court can divide the costs between both parents.

Finding an attorney in California who is knowledgeable in child support orders and modifications of child support orders will likely go far in answering your most complex questions. If medical issues are relevant to your child's circumstances, you know the importance of providing the coverage and care your child's illness or injury necessitates, and getting that wrong is something you can't afford to risk.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Minutes From Downtown Sacramento

Our office is conveniently located off Highway 50, just three miles from the Sacramento County Family Courthouse and minutes from Downtown Sacramento. For your convenience, we accept all major credit cards.

Victoria S. Linder Law Office
5303 Folsom Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95819

Phone: 916-905-4805
Fax: 916-498-0127
Sacramento Law Office Map