Victoria S. Linder Law Office
Family Law Attorneys
Call to Schedule an Appointment

Child Support Archives

Will my ex be required to pay our child's medical bills?

When you go through a divorce or perhaps if you are not married to your child's other parent and child support has been ordered, you may know just exactly how to make the payments work. However, if your child now has a need for medical treatments, you may not know where the money will come from. Will the other parent be legally bound to help?

Should I establish parentage with a dead-beat dad?

If you are a woman and you have had a child with a man you were not married to at the time the child was conceived or born, you may want to do one of two things: have the father sign a Declaration of Parentage or obtain a court order requesting the man submit to genetic testing proving he is the father.

The importance of establishing paternity

If you are married and have a child with your wife, your paternity is usually established. You are automatically considered the father of the child. However, in cases where the parents are unmarried, you are protecting the best interests of the child to immediately begin the process of establishing paternity of the child; it is not an automatic assumption.

What happens if my ex falls behind on support?

When you are newly divorced and you have been granted sole custody or primary custody of your children, you may feel that you are in over your head with the extracurricular costs, everyday budget concerns and medical expenses. This is especially true when your bills have remained comparatively similar to those you incurred while married. This is why child support is so necessary; the cost of putting a roof over your child's head isn't cut in half just because your income may be.

Can the state my ex moved to modify child support?

If you have a child support order from the state in which you and your child reside and the other parent moves out of state, can the other state negate, reduce or further modify the order? It's a relevant question and these types of worries can only be eased by knowledge.

How much will I pay in child support?

In California, child support is determined after a court looks into the amount of money each parent makes and then takes into consideration the time each parent spends with or will spend with each child. The less time a parent physically is with the child, the more money the parent will likely have to pay.

Voluntarily assumed paternity

As most of us know, establishing paternity means legally identifying a child's father. Regardless of how paternity is established, the results carry significant legal importance for the mother, the father and the child. Paternity can be recognized by either a voluntary assumption or involuntary assumption. If paternity is not being contested, there are several different ways paternity can be voluntarily established. Understanding the circumstances in which paternity is voluntarily assumed may help parents have a better understanding of their parental rights and obligations.

Can I modify child support for medical expenses?

Generally speaking, out of pocket medical expenses are considered additional expenses not combined with basic child support. These expenses are considered "extraordinary" because they exceed the basic cost of healthcare under any given plan. They may include deductibles, co-pays, dental and vision costs, and prescriptions that are not covered by a plan. If protocol on how to handle these out-of-pocket expenses is not addressed in the current child support order, a child support modification may be necessary.

How do I know if I'm eligible for child support?

Not every divorced or single parent receives or pays child support. There are many parents out there who wonder if they are eligible to request child support from their child's other parent. Although there is no exact formula when determining an individual's eligibility for child support payments, there are a few basic considerations that should be made first.

Tell Us About Your Case

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Minutes From Downtown Sacramento

Our office is conveniently located off Highway 50, just three miles from the Sacramento County Family Courthouse and minutes from Downtown Sacramento. For your convenience, we accept all major credit cards.

Victoria S. Linder Law Office
5303 Folsom Boulevard
Sacramento, CA 95819

Phone: 916-905-4805
Fax: 916-498-0127
Sacramento Law Office Map